About Us

History of Chilliwack Secondary School

The Chilliwack Senior High School had its humble beginning in 1903 when it was housed in a two-room school on one and three-quarters acres of land on Young Street North. In 1912 a new building of brick and cement construction was erected on Yale Road East. This school served the secondary school needs of Chilliwack until 1938 when a large addition was completed and all pupils of Grades Eight to Thirteen were housed in the combined structures.
With the continued growth of the Valley, it became necessary to build a new structure. This was completed in January 1950 with Mr. G.W. Graham as the first principal of the new Chilliwack Senior High School. This new building was constructed on twenty acres of land between Yale Road and Portage Avenue. With the construction of this new school the former Junior-Senior High School was changed to Chilliwack Junior High School.